Genesis Biosciences is an international company that develops environmentally-responsible microbial and anti-microbial products with a wide range of applications for the facilities management industry, using patented eco-benign® technology.
With its headquarters in Cardiff, the company distributes globally, including to Asia and Europe, and operates in a number of markets, which include waste water treatment, fats, oils and grease, marine, agriculture and retail.
Effective was tasked with four key objectives:
- Raising the profile of the company within key markets such as the facilities management and shipping industries through PR activity
- Raising awareness around the new EU Biocidal Products Regulations which were introduced in September 2015; which affected the distribution of microbial products within the EU market
- Using PR activity to raise awareness on the benefits of Genesis’ microbial (Evogen) and antimicrobial (Biosan) products in comparison with market alternatives
- Working with a key shipping and marine publication to announce new products and technology developments from Biotal Marine
STRATEGY AND TACTICS
Effective thoroughly researched the work that Genesis do and the market they are in. It is a complex industry so Effective’s knowledge and understanding was essential for a successful campaign.
Trade media was key in achieving Genesis’ objectives.
A monthly PR plan was created in four month stages with a particular press theme for each month (For example: April: Bio 8 – raising public awareness of hygiene standards, June: focus on Genesis unique product offering).
Forward feature lists were researched and ideas were generated for each appropriate topic.
Effective’s research also showed that awards, particularly in the scientific industry, were crucial to reaching the intended audience. Relevant awards were researched and would be targeted and PR generated around successful applications.
With the introduction of new EU Biocidal Products Regulations, a PR campaign was launched to target trade publications with an article explaining the benefits of the new regulations along with key dates as well as emphasising Genesis’ position as the only company within the EU that met these regulations so far.
A second release was written to explain the implications of not complying with the regulations. Both releases were issued with the aim of:
- raising awareness of the regulation within the industry
- positioning Genesis as the leading supplier of microbial products within the EU market
To raise the profile of the company within key industries and to raise awareness around the benefits of their products, an integrated campaign was launched through PR and social media activity.
- A number of releases were written covering; technology developments, benefits of anti-microbial products in washrooms, award wins (for technology); announcement of Evogen launch, case studies
- Releases were aimed at Welsh/UK business media as well as key trade titles
- Genesis were entered into the Cardiff Business Awards and edie awards, winning both, helping to raise the profile of the company for their technology
- Social media supported press release activity; sharing releases and news
For Biotal Marine work, Effective drafted a monthly press release covering the latest product stories
OUTPUTS AND OUTCOMES
Effective drafted two entries for carefully selected awards, both of which they won:
- ‘Technology and Innovation Business of the Year 2015’, Cardiff Business Awards
- ‘Sustainability Product Innovation’, edie’s 2015 Sustainability Leaders Awards. This was a record breaking year for entries. Judges described Evogen as an extremely exciting and innovative product, with massive potential.
From September to present, Effective secured 41 pieces of coverage with a total print reach of 291,028 and total online reach of 542,000.
For social media activity: 44,246 people were reached organically (without budget) over a 7 month period; supporting PR activity.